Of Planes, Dreams and Folk Psychology


On the 27th of July, I flew from Amritsar to Toronto. My trip was planned so suddenly that I failed to inform all my friends about it. On August 1st, I received the following email from Aman:

Sat Sri Akal Bhaji,
This is Amandeep from Amritsar. Hor ki hal chal ai. Tusi tan achanak hi nikal aaye!
Parson di gal ai shayd jdon Prof. Sahib ton pata laga ke tusi bahr kitay chalay gaye ho. Os velay mere memory ch koch nahi ayeya, par rati Randeep naal galaan kardeya menu yaad aya ki pichli raat menu ik supna ayeya si, jis vich ik jahaaz day do hisay hoey hoey han, ( front te back) and they are being put together by a group of people/machines. And I am watching this from top of a hill nearby. There I meet you, you were quiet content, appan hath milaonay han, haal chal puch de han, te phir tusi fateh keh ke jahaaz ch chalay jana ho! khair, i hope tohada trip vadia reha. Are you in US or Canada?
chalo je time meleya tan phone kar leyo
Sat Sri Akal

And I replied back him thus:
Sat Sri Akal ji,
I am so sorry about not telling you about my trip. It was arranged in so much hurry. I got visa on the evening of 24th and got flight on the morning of 27th. So there was not enough time to meet everyone. I will try to call you as soon as possible. My number is 416-------------. You can call me at anytime. Its a strange incident that you have been visited by this dream. Whenever in my life I have thought about boarding a flight I have always seen the images of broken aeroplane and me survinvg the accident. So who knows on day it is going to happen with me. And in the folk tradition of Punjab, it is believed that if you have a dream about an impending bad incident then the actual occurence of that accident gets cancelled with the said dream. So, to be a little superstitious, we can say that your dream has saved me from that accident.
No thanks can reciprocate such an act.
Hope to see you soon.

This is the first time that the motif of DREAM has come into my blog. I am wondering why such an important has remained absent from my thoughts for such a long time. My blog has completed its first year of existence recently and S. asked me to write a special post on this occasion. I am writing about Dreams on this ocasion and what can be more special. Is'nt it so, S.!? (I will wait for your reply).
Trying to forget and circumvent Freud at the same time, I will try to think Dreams otherwise than Psychoanalysis has done till now. I will try to see Dreams as a child sees them.
A child is that being who is yet unable to distinguish Dreams from reality. For whom, everything is reality, and everything is Dream at the same time. He has not yet falles victim to the false dichotomy of Dream and reality. Everything which is happening to him is equally real, whether it is dreaming or playing or eating or sleeping. What I am trying to know is this:
When a child is grown up enough to ask 'what a Dream is', what kind of conceptions he already has of Dreams? He must have a vague understanding of Dreams in order to ask what a Dream is. I am in hope of having some glimpses of this vague understanding of a child or what he experiences about a Dream. Before a child becomes capable of remembering his Dreams, he has already started to become familiar with the world around him. So this familiarity makes the world around him less and less strange with every passing day. Then suddenly, he becomes aware of a new world, the Dream world, infinitely strange and different from that with which he is already familiar. This new world has only one parallel in the old world in which he is spending most of his time, the fairly tales which he has listened or read. Now, he suddenly experiences that the world of fairly tales is not only a fiction, but it has actual existence. This existence is beyond doubt for him because he has visited it in his Dream. As he grows older, the banality of the world around him makes him more and more suspicious about the existence of his Dream world.
All these things suggest that Dreams are not only a release of repressed desires, but the opening up of new and strange world. But the world around us represses this opening and tries to convince us that this is only a fiction and not reality. So the Dream world gets marginalised and repressed. We must fight against this repression and marginalisation of our Dream worlds if we wish to experience the wonder of life, if we wish to experience life anew every moment and if we wish to experience the beauty of life in such a manner so that it may save the world.

Comments

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmm..............beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really its a good post........
    Good going........
    i have sent you a mail on your account....from the last night,only this line which i have written in your mail,is coming in my mind again and again,so i had decided to send it to you in the morning,as you know,no internet facility i have at night, i have also used the word "supna".My mail is also about dream and plane,but i do not know what kind of psychology is this!at that time,i had not visited your blog.now when i have seen your post, so i decided to put this comment on your blog.but a lot of difference in your dream and my dream,
    but your post is really good one..........
    Congrats again........
    Waheguru mehar karan..........
    Ameen.....
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really its a good post........
    Good going........
    i have sent you a mail on your account....from the last night,only this line which i have written in your mail,is coming in my mind again and again,so i had decided to send it to you in the morning,as you know,no internet facility i have at night, i have also used the word "supna".My mail is also about dream and plane,but i do not know what kind of psychology is this!at that time,i had not visited your blog.now when i have seen your post, so i decided to put this comment on your blog.but a lot of difference in your dream and my dream,
    but your post is really good one..........
    Congrats again........
    Waheguru mehar karan..........
    Ameen.....
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why?????
    I cannot understand what are you trying to say.
    And please what made you so sad.
    Please tell me, my anonymous friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was it in my post which has made you sad.
    It is the first time that I ve seen a comment like this on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing :) just kidding! lolzzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. sohna likhde ho veer
    raab apni mehar banai rakhe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous ਬਾਈ ਜੀ,
    ਆਪਣਾ ਨਾਮ ਤਾਂ ਦੱਸ ਜਾਂਦੇ

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahaha keep guessing!!! lolzz

    ReplyDelete
  10. why did u stop writing veer
    where r u nowadays????
    Rabb Rakha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have stpped writing because of anonymous comments

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, u have stopped writing coz of me? I am soooo sorry I won't bug you anymore....I promise! nor would I post a comment here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes and No. I am not writing because of several reasons. One of them is that I am travelling too much these days. Your comments have not bothered me that much that I stop writing. But it would have been great if you disclose your identity. But its entirely upto you. I can't force you to do so.
    I was thinking about writing a post on 'The Tyrrany of the Anonymous'. But I found no time for it as I was constantly moving throughout Canada.
    There is absolutely no need to stop commenting on my blog. I must welcome your comments. Because comments help blogs survive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Burden- ਮਨਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਾਂਗ ਰਚਿਤ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਭਾਰ- ਇਕ ਪੁਲਿਸ ਕੈਟ ਦੀ ਗਾਥਾ ਦਾ ਅੰਗਰੇਜੀ ਅਨੁਵਾਦ

ਸਿੱਖ ਸੰਘਰਸ਼ ਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਦੇ ਖੱਬੇਪੱਖੀ ਚਿੰਤਨ ਦਾ ਸੰਕਟ

ਆਧੁਨਿਕਤਾ, ਬਰਬਰਤਾ, ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਕਵਿਤਾ