Spring Torrents

.......... I wonder how many faces can be seen in this face?.............


Everytime I have read this novel, I have wept. As far as I can remember, I have read it at least three times. So, I have shed my tears three times. Tears, which were so alien to me at one time that all my prayers were directed towards gaining these pearls. The two deserts of my eyes were so much heated by thousands of scorching suns located inside my very heart, heart which was itself no more than a desert, that these tiny angels were almost afraid to come there. Tears are always like rare pearls whose origin always remain beyond sight. I often wonder what was it in that tiny book which made such a miracle possible.

Was it Gemma's fate. No. Was it tragic fall of Dmitri Sanin. Not at all. I wept when these tragedies became too old to be mourned. Towards the end of the story, when Sanin read Gemma's letter from America. When almost everything was finished, the miracle happened.

And at the very first page, these lines from an old russian song told me in advance that the territory you are going to tread is not an ordinary one.

Those happy years,
Those days so gay,
Like the rush of spring torrents,
Have vanished away.

What is the coming and going of a thing like spring torrents or cherry blossoms? I often wonder now. The relationship of Sanin and Gemma was like spring torrents and cherry blossoms, as beautiful as it was short-lived.


Alas! how bitter the truth is?

I now see my entire life as coming to terms with the bitterness of this truth. And I have realized that life would have been a hell without this bitterness. Fate has given me bounties of this bitterness and I am almost on the brinks of tasting the real sweetness concealed under this bitterness.

This bitterness is exactly that substance which makes one's heart bow before a rose and pray. Sometimes, these lonely prayers are heard. But these prayers are granted only with an increased dose of the bitterness, which ramains always there to loom like a heavy cloud over all one's petty delights.

The following video appeared as a response to this post:



Comments

  1. hi veer ji
    very nice post once again.what u have said is very true.how we can understand the happiness and sweetness of life if we don't have sorrows or bitterness in life.these things always help me to understand the true meaning of joy.
    dukh daroo sukh rogg bhaiya
    rabb rakha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prabhsharan, you are a blessed soul...
    For your tender heart:
    Give me the pain of Love, the Pain of Love for Thee!
    Not the joy of Love, just the Pain of Love, And I will pay the price, any price you ask!
    All myself I will offer for it, and the price you will ask on top of it!
    Keep the joy for others, give me the Pain, And gladly will I pay for the Pain of Love!
    - "Anonymous"
    Love and Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    This book is special to me as it is a Gift from a very-very special person. I have read the punjabi version of this book 'ਵਹਿਣ ਬਹਾਰਾਂ ਦੇ'.
    I think....3 months ago...
    Oh....Its Gemma...in the picture...
    I remember...It can be Gemma only...
    Her eyes are filled with longing to hear him again.
    I want to share a prose poem by Prof. Puran Singh...
    ਮਧੂਮੱਖੀ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਉਸਦੀ ਉਡਾਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਹੈ,

    ਉਸ ਦਾ ਸੁਹੱਣਪ ਮਰਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਹੈ,

    ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਦੀ ਪੂਰਨਤਾ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਛਣ ਹੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ,

    ਫਿਰ ਭਾਵੇਂ ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਬੇਵਫਾਈ ਆਖੋ ਜਾਂ ਮੌਤ,

    ਮਧੂਮੱਖੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਬੁਲਾ ਲਿਆ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ,

    ਅਸੀਂ ਹੁਣ ਰੁਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦੀਆਂ,

    ਅਲਵਿਦਾ!

    ਸਾਡਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਤਾਂ ਇਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਹੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ,
    "Alas!how bitter the truth is?"I am agree with you.This bitterness increases the pain.And the pain bears by an oyster generates a Pearl of exceeding beauty.
    Still...In human mind...Truth is bitter...
    But...
    A hope...
    God has gifted a special gift to whole humanity.
    "A PRAYER"

    Miracle Happens...

    The most beautiful line in this book (by Sanin)
    "ਮੁਰਝਾਈਆਂ ਪੱਤੀਆਂ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਗੁਲਾਬ ਦੇ ਫੁੱਲਾਂ ਦੀ ਆਮ ਮਹਿਕ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਵਧੇਰੇ ਸੂਖਮ ਮਹਿਕ ਉਠਦੀ ਹੈ"

    Anonymou(S.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrvJBECCfE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Burden- ਮਨਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਾਂਗ ਰਚਿਤ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਭਾਰ- ਇਕ ਪੁਲਿਸ ਕੈਟ ਦੀ ਗਾਥਾ ਦਾ ਅੰਗਰੇਜੀ ਅਨੁਵਾਦ

ਆਧੁਨਿਕਤਾ, ਬਰਬਰਤਾ, ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਕਵਿਤਾ

ਸਿੱਖ ਸੰਘਰਸ਼ ਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਦੇ ਖੱਬੇਪੱਖੀ ਚਿੰਤਨ ਦਾ ਸੰਕਟ